Sunday, February 22, 2009

Children's Hospital

Whenever I think of Children's Hospital my heart skips a beat. And sometimes even tears fill my eyes. You can only imagine how I get when those free address labels come in the mail. I have to send in a donation, even if it's only twenty bucks. And when my MOPS group asked for fuzzy slippers as a donation, I went a little crazy and bought 8 pairs of the cutest ones I could find. Because for those of you who have never been there (it's worth a visit) it's a special place that makes you realize exactly how lucky you are to be alive and healthy. And more importantly they sort of saved my daughter.

When my first baby was born in July 2007, I never imagined there would be something wrong with him or her. Ten fingers, ten toes, right? Right. But unfortunately Sophia was born with a congenital heart defect - pulmonary stenosis - and we were completely surprised. She was rushed by helicopter to CHLA where she stayed in the NICU for the first 9 days of her brand new life.

Now 19 months later, she seems perfectly healthy in every way. She's super rambunctious, full of energy, eats well and is starting to speak in sentences. After three balloon valvuloplastys, countless echocardiograms and tons of medical bills...I'm hoping that we are finally in the clear. We don't go back until May but it's never too early to starting hoping for the best and preparing for the worse. Because every time I enter those glass doors I am all too aware of the possibilities and very thankful for the doctors and nurses on staff.

Then (hours after birth) and...


Now (19 months later)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww we love her

The Daily Mother, 2009. | Design by JudithShakes Designs.