Monday, April 13, 2009

Don't Say the M Word

One of the most anticipated events in a mother's life is the day when her offspring says "Mama" or "Mommy" for the first time. I remember when Sophia first started talking she would say "Dada" all the time. Everything was "Dada" this and "Dada" that. As her primary caretaker I completely felt left out. Hell-o! What about me? What about Mommy? Say "Mama." Say "Mommy." "Who am I?" I would beg all day long, every single day for those two measily syllables. I even tried sign language but all I would get in return was a clear and concise "Dada" or a hand to the forehead (sign for daddy). So much for Mommy. Chopped liver, I guess.

Well I'm happy to report that times have changed. Well...sort of. You see Sophia has finally learned that we (her and I) are two different people. I'm not sure if it's my recent, frequent absences or a developmental thing. Mommy. Mommy. Mommy. All. Day. Long. Mommy this. Mommy that. I find it very odd how I couldn't wait for her to call me Mommy and now I'm ready to hand over the Thesaurus to my doting 21 month old. But honestly is there a better word for me than Mommy?

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Cute post. Sky has said mama here and there, but she has yet to say it on a regular basis. It bums me out. I can't wait for the day when she will say it over and over again. But maybe I'll feel differently when she starts repeating it over and over. haha.

The Daily Mother, 2009. | Design by JudithShakes Designs.