Saturday, April 11, 2009

My Portrait Nightmare

Lately I've been sort of sidetracked (in case you haven't noticed by my lack of blogs) so it came as no surprise that I did nothing to prepare for the Easter holiday in advance. (I barely have time to take a shower and comb my own hair these days). But today I mustered up all my energy to take the kids to the portrait studio for the first time. I wanted to get some Easter portraits for the family but mostly for my sister. Plus I wanted some cute 8x10's for our stairwalls.

In order to make things a little easier I called on my 12 year old niece to accompany us. Luckily for me she was free and coincidentally a mallacholic (according to my sister). First mission was to find two spring outfits. We ran into JcPenney found a beautiful yellow dress for Sophia. Next, we hopped on over to BabyGap for a plaid jumper for Thomas. Mission one complete.

Second, we had to get both kids dressed and looking cute. The portrait studio has a bathroom and comfy couches so we were able to get both kids cleaned up and ready. Mission two complete.

Lastly, we had to cross our fingers and hope both kids cooperated. Mission three - FAILED.

Sophia had a complete meltdown despite the snacks and juice and toys and distractions. She hated having her picture taken. She wanted nothing to do with her brother Thomas during the combo shoot. She just wanted to run all over the store and out of the store. Is there a reason why the kid's portrait studio is directly across from the big, giant, fun carousel? Seriously! The carousel marketing people are probably brilliant and racking in the dough. But the Portrait studio can't be doing that well. Because honestly I could barely keep Sophia in the store long enough to buy one single pose. I was so worn out, frustrated and tired we left without buying a thing. I felt completely defeated.

Later that evening when Dan came home from work I went back to the store to buy the prints. As I was waiting I sat down and stared at the beautiful family portraits hanging on the walls. How in the world do all these families have the perfect portrait? They make it look so easy but for me it was SO hard. Now I realize why I put it off for so long. It was a major nightmare for me to get two kids dressed, ready and more importantly happy at the same time even with my little helper. I think it will be awhile before we try that again!!!

P.S. I do have to admit that once I got home and framed the portraits - they look effortless and perfect after all...just like the ones in the store.

No comments:

The Daily Mother, 2009. | Design by JudithShakes Designs.