Saturday, March 7, 2009

Always Pack a Change of Clothes

Today we had the pleasure of going to San Diego to visit with Great Grandpa Don (Dan's grandfather) for a belated birthday lunch. We woke up early, fed the kids, packed the mini-van and headed South. Thomas, being the newest baby that he is, slept the majority of the car ride. Sophia, on the other hand, was a little restless. I tried my best to distract her with lions, zebras, elephants, crayons, goldfish crackers, a Baby Einstein DVD, whatever I could do. About two-thirds of the way down, she had had enough so we pulled off the freeway for a pit stop.

We found a McDonald's and headed inside to share some french fries and let Sophia run around and stretch her legs. While I was feeding Thomas, Dan and Sophia went outside to play on the grass. Suddenly, I heard it. I heard the burst. For my fellow mom friends - you know what I'm referring to. For the rest of you...it's the newborn digestive system working out its kinks. I actually think burst is an understatement. This time it was a full-on explosion.

As soon as I heard it I knew. I rushed outdoors holding Thomas with questions on my mind. Is it running down his leg? Why is my hand wet? I was sorta freaking out and a little embarrassed. Did anyone else hear it? Or see it? I got Thomas to the car, grabbed the diaper bag, and laid him down to inspect the damage. Yep, full-on explosion. He had just pooed all over himself and it had run down his leg and all over MY jeans too. So much for Huggies.

By this time a few tears were running down my cheek. I was covered in fluorescent yellow poop and we were miles from home. Of course I had a change of clothes for Thomas but what about me!!! I tried my best to clean my jeans with baby wipes (an entire package) and proceeded to change his diaper and outfit. Did I mention it was a super cute meet-Great-Grandpa-for-the-first-time outfit? Yes that's the one. After I was finished I went inside to, one, scrub my hands, and two, rinse off the soiled laundry and get a plastic bag. Here I am in the women's restroom trying to rinse poop out of Thomas' outfit and hoping nobody walks in and the water pressure is awful. Of course, McDonald's has gone green and installed those water saving faucets. Clog our arteries but save the earth! Just great!

Anyways, I eventually get the job done. We load up the car again and proceed down South for a very nice lunch and fun trip to the park with Jiji (Dan's dad), Baba (Dan's mom) and Great Grandpa. Now the funny part is that right before we left the house in the morning, I ran back upstairs to grab an extra shirt. You see, Thomas loves to spit up. I figured I better grab myself a clean shirt just in case. It never crossed my mind that I would need an extra pair of pants too! Next time, I think I'll just pack an entire outfit for everyone.

No comments:

The Daily Mother, 2009. | Design by JudithShakes Designs.