Friday, March 20, 2009

An Ounce of Comfort(er)

So I have this twin-size comforter. I call him Little Blue. He has basically been my "blankie" since I was a little girl. And yes he still brings me comfort. He's the perfect crying blanket since he's so soft and thin. He's broken-in and has had his fair share of tears.

When I was three my dad transferred his job to Seattle, Washington. So my mom, two sisters and two brothers (I think), and I moved with him. They kept the house where they live now and rented it out. When my dad got to Washington he fixed up the "new" house for our arrival. He bought three matching comforters for the girls' beds. They were light blue with white flowers. Hence the name Little Blue.

Over time I got a few new blankets and comforters. You know how teens love to redecorate. And when I went to college I got a new set for my dorm. But no matter how many new bedding sets I acquired...I always kept Little Blue. Eventually Little Blue became sort of ragged. In fact my mom has sewn him up several times after he tore and the stuffing disintegrated. Today he's essentially two sheets sewn together without stuffing.

(On a side note I also have a reddish pink blanket that belonged to my Grandma Neat. I still have him too. I always called him my Pink Blanket. He is super, duper hole-y. He's not as good for crying but he's VERY soft).

Well anyone who's known me knows the importance of my two blankies. Once my mom even tried to replace my dearest Pink Blanket with a new pink one that she handmade. I cried. Honestly tears rolled down my face. I mean it was the thought that counts but my old raggedy Pink Blanket is irreplaceable. The same thing holds true for Little Blue. IRREPLACEABLE.

So the other day when I found out that I will NEVER see Little Blue again - I was exceptionally calm. In fact it still doesn't bother me at all. I had taken him to the hospital to be with my sister who is dying of Ovarian Cancer. And knowing that she used it, if only for one day, brings me much happiness and comfort.

So rest in peace Little Blue. I think your purpose on this earth was finally fulfilled the other day. You could never have made me happier than the smile on Kathy's face when I gave you to her that day. Thank you for being there for me for more than 25 years. I will miss you dearly.


P.S. Little Blue was accidentally taken with the hospital laundry when the nurses changed the sheets on Kathy's bed.

No comments:

The Daily Mother, 2009. | Design by JudithShakes Designs.